Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)
This content in this section provides an introduction to HRAs and covers the basics of this type of account.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What types of expenses are eligible to be reimbursed from my HRA?
- Eligible expenses are defined by Internal Revenue Code Section 213(d). Please note your employer can limit the types of expenses that can be reimbursed from the account, so please review your HRA Summary Plan Description provided by your employer for any exclusions before incurring the expense.
- Can I use my debit card to make in-store purchases?
- Yes. Just present your debit card to the merchant to pay for eligible expenses. The account will pay up to the available balance. Keep in mind that some expenses have requirements for eligibility--for example, a valid prescription or a doctor's order. You won't be able to use your debit card for those items, but you can pay out of pocket and get reimbursed from your account later, if you can satisfy the requirements.
- What documentation should I submit with my claim?
Documentation must contain the provider’s name, patient name, date of service, type of service, and total patient responsibility. This information is most commonly found on your explanation of benefits from your insurance carrier or an itemized statement from your provider.